(BPT) – Lacking culinary inspiration as grilling season ends? Keep telling yourself that you will start going to the gym next week? Binge-watching TV rather than tackling a crossword puzzle?
We can often be our own biggest hurdle when it comes to making healthy decisions. But sometimes all it takes is a gentle nudge from a friend or a fun new idea to spark your motivation. Below, find three simple ideas to help you live your best life and boost your mental and physical health.
Staying active: Push-ups
While the thought of doing push-ups might be intimidating, there are plenty of ways to make the exercise simpler while still gaining strength in your arms, chest and back. Try a modification on the classic push-up that could even be done on a secure countertop in the convenience of your home.
1. Place your hands on top of a countertop or other firm surface. Make sure to spread your fingers wide.
2. As you lower yourself toward your hands, keep your shoulder blades down and back.
3. Once you have gone as low as you can, come back up and repeat.
To take a more active role in your health, some health plans, including UnitedHealthcare, offer gym memberships at no additional cost. To learn more, visit UHCMedicarePlans.com. Consult your doctor prior to beginning an exercise program or making changes to your lifestyle or health care routine.
Staying healthy: Walk-in-the-park wraps
Fall is the perfect time to enjoy the outdoors. Pack these protein-rich wraps for a picnic and marvel at the fall colors. Not a fan of pesto? No problem. Hummus and seasoned cream cheese are equally flavorful spreads.
Servings: Makes 2 wraps
2 whole grain tortillas, 8′
2 tablespoons prepared basil pesto
1 cup spinach leaves
4-6 thin slices tomato
1/2 avocado, cut into 6 slices
4 slices turkey breast
2 slices mozzarella cheese, cut into 3 pieces
1. Spread 1 tablespoon of pesto on the center of each tortilla.
2. Layer each with the spinach, sliced tomato and avocado, and then the turkey and cheese.
3. Roll the tortilla into a snug roll and wrap with parchment paper (wax paper works, too).
4. Tie each end with string before cutting in half diagonally to serve.
Health facts: calories: 462; total fat: 20.8g; saturated fat: 0g; cholesterol: 33.4mg; sodium: 178.1mg; carbs: 48.8g; dietary fiber: 8.1g; sugar: 5.3g; protein: 23.7g
Staying mindful: Brain quiz
Keeping your mind active and engaged is a good way to help fend off memory loss. Brain games, like trivia, are fun ways to help keep your memory sharp.
1. Which is the biggest part of your brain? a) Cerebrum b) Cerebellum c) Brainstem
2. How much does the average adult human brain weigh? a) 1 pound b) 3 pounds c) 6 pounds
3. Which part of the brain plays an important role in long-term memory and spatial navigation? a) Hippocampus b) Hypothalamus c) Basal Ganglia
Find more simple ways to help enhance your mental and physical health at newsroom.uhc.com.
Plans are insured through UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company or one of its affiliated companies, a Medicare Advantage organization with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in these plans depends on the plan’s contract renewal with Medicare.