(BPT) – Wanting to care for someone is a natural impulse, especially if they need a little more help than others, perhaps due to a medical condition. Fortunately, many resources are now available that help caregivers find the support they need for both themselves and those for whom they care. These resources provide access to information on healthcare discounts and services; professional in-home care options; and shopping and meal delivery options. Many of these caregiving resources even come with additional benefits and discounts for AARP members.
Support Their Health and Medical Needs
- Providing your loved ones with adequate support means researching the best healthcare options for their specific needs. For example, hearing loss is common among older adults. Fortunately, AARP members have access to helpful information through the AARP® Hearing Care Program provided by HearUSA, which provides savings on check-ups, hearing aids, batteries and more.
- Prescription medication is also common for individuals needing care, particularly if they are suffering from a medical condition where they might require a robust medication regimen. AARP members have access to a free prescription discount card from AARP® Prescription Discounts provided by OptumRx® that can be used to save on FDA-approved medications in pharmacies nationwide. While anyone can enroll, AARP members can unlock deeper discounts and benefits such as home delivery, coverage for dependents and more.
- Members with a qualifying high-deductible health plan can take advantage of tax benefits and save for qualified medical expenses by utilizing the AARP® Health Savings Account offered by Optum Bank®. Additionally, they get access to tools, resources and information tailored to their needs, and members under 65 receive a 20% discount on monthly maintenance fees, and if you’re 65 or older, your monthly fees are waived.
- For caregivers, it’s important to know where to take loved ones for medical assistance, or general primary care needs. While hospitals often take most forms of insurance, primary care does not. Make sure you have identified a primary care practice, such as Oak Street Health Primary Care, a primary care provider that serves adults on Medicare. Oak Street Health provides personalized primary care services from a team of doctors, nurses and other professionals dedicated to keeping you well, physically, mentally and socially. Benefits include same-day visits, transportation to and from appointments, community room events and more. While Oak Street Health is the only primary care provider to carry the AARP name, AARP membership is not required to take advantage of its services.
In-Home Care and Wellness Products
- There are now a bounty of supplementary care options available to caregivers. CareLinx In-Home Care is a nationwide online network that connects families with pre-screened, professional caregivers who can assist with things such as light housekeeping, laundry, bathing, meal preparation, transportation around the community and more. AARP members receive a 3% discount on in-home caregiving services.
- What we eat directly impacts our health and well-being. We know this, yet sometimes the convenience of less healthy options creates temptation that is hard to resist. For caregivers, it’s important to nourish yourself as well as your loved one but that doesn’t have to mean an extra item on your to-do list. Let Silver Cuisine™ by bistroMD, a meal delivery service, give you back some time and peace of mind. AARP members save 25% PLUS free shipping on their first order of $99 or more of Silver Cuisine™ chef-prepared meals. For all subsequent orders members save 10% and get free shipping.
Stay Connected and Entertained
- Staying connected to friends and family members is an important part of the care journey. Caregivers can help themselves as well as their care recipient stay connected and entertained with CC ConnectPad from Consumer Cellular, a tablet with an 8′ screen that delivers cellular calling, email, text messaging, video chat, apps, games and Internet browsing. AARP members can save 5% on monthly services for CC ConnectPad.
Today, a range of products and resources are available that can help caregivers give their loved ones the support they deserve. With an AARP membership, caregivers can enrich their support and ensure those most important to them are healthy, happy and receiving the highest level of care.
AARP member benefits are provided by third parties, not by AARP or its affiliates. Providers pay a royalty fee to AARP for the use of its intellectual property. These fees are used for the general purposes of AARP. Some provider offers are subject to change and may have restrictions. Please contact the provider directly for details.